Friday, September 23, 2016

In Which a Nameless Thug in a Burnt Orange Suit Gives Me My Laugh for the Day


Did I tell you I finally got around to seeing Batman vs. Superman?  I actually thought it was okay if you skipped the thirty minutes where they actually fought each other.  Poor DC just has a hard time making a good movie, don't they?

Anyway, here's Master Comics #31!


That looks like a lot of recycled artwork.  It's rather disappointing, considering the caliber of what we've had up to this point.  Maybe they were running behind and had to meet a deadline.

But, at least as the cover promised, we have the return of Mr. Macabre:




Considering the shellacking Junior has been giving Captain Nazi on a regular basis, I'm wondering why Mr. Macabre is putting himself in Junior's cross-hairs.  Seriously, if I were a villain of that era, I'd be hanging out where the Red Bee or the Press Guardian are considered badass.

Anyway....



And then this happened:



Now, wait a minute.  Unless Junior inflated himself like Bouncing Boy, I see a lot of opportunities for the flames and the shockwaves to reach that girl.  It's not that I don't want Junior to protect her... I'm just wanting it to make more sense.

In any event, Macabre escapes and then decides to once again poke the bear and pick a fight with Junior:




Now if I saw Junior shrug off a large plummeting block of concrete, I'd take that as my cue to give up crime and start a coin collection.  But Macabre is apparently a lot dumber than I thought he was:



Check out that guy on the left, standing there in a stupor.  I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be taking in from that, but it's hilarious.  In fact, this whole fight sequence has me playing the Looney Tunes theme in my head.


There, Macabre!  That's what Captain Nazi gets on a regular basis!  Are you about finished trying to go toe-to-toe with Captain Marvel Junior?


Well, the man can be taught!

And the torn clothes are a laugh riot to me for some reason.


Yeah, that's what happens.  You shouldn't mess with a guy who engages entire Axis fleets for fun.

But we're not done yet!


That guy.  THAT GUY!  What a scream!  He's still just standing there and I have no idea why.  Har!

And why is Junior always in such a rush to change back into Freddy Freeman?  I mean, does he want Macabre to find out who he is?  Does he want these guys to regain consciousness and beat him up while he's non-mighty?  It's like he just can't wait to quit being a super-strong guy who can fly.  I don't get it.

See you Monday!

3 comments:

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Adam, you know the Red Bee is superior to most heroes of the 1940s. I'm sure the guy in the stupor had just been stung by Red Bee's BBF (Best Bee Forever), Michael, who lived in his belt buckle.

Either that, or the guy is in a stupor for seeing the Red Bee's costume.(This of course being the Red Bee being an "invisible helper" in this story.

Smurfswacker said...

Banz-ooh"?

nlpnt said...

"Sure they seem nice, but this place gets real Game of Thrones...(cracks up) you look at me like, 'dude, why so dark? You're a disabled foster kid, you got it all!"
- it's interesting in light of Golden Age CMJ that they chose this line from Freddy for the first trailer of the Shazam movie to pivot from the "DC movie tone" to the Big Red Cheesefest it seems to actually be.

There's a fan theory that Freddy/CMJ (in all incarnations) re-breaks his back every time he powers down. Considering that Golden Age Freddy did it three times a story, sometimes twice a page...