Thursday, February 21, 2013

Betty Brandt Leeds Eats Asparagus and the Hobgoblin Washes His Hand in a Public Restroom Toilet

I finally got around to seeing The Amazing Spider-Man movie, and it was... okay.  I couldn't help but think that Emma Stone should have been Mary Jane in the previous movies and Kirsten Whats-her-face  should have been Gwen Stacy in this one.  All in all, it was much more like a "comic book brought to life," with all the pros and cons that would involve.

And I was reading the "Alien Costume Saga" issues of Amazing Spider-Man (from 252 to 259 or therebouts) and didn't see much that was funny.  I don't know if it's because I've re-read those particular issues too many time or...

Hold up....


Change that... I believe we have a Random Bitch...



Whoops. False alarm.  No, there was nothing.  It was a good story in it's day.  I remember we all thought the whole idea of the costume that could morph like that was awesome, and we must have been right because symbiotes pop up all the time in Spider-Man lore.

But not just yet.  Here we check out Amazing Spider-Man #260, which has an interesting segue...

First, we see Disembodied Floating Heads! (tm!)


Which morphs into Disembodied Floating Bodies (tm!) as well as Disembodied Punctuation Marks (tm!)


And then finally, just Disembodied Punctuation Marks (tm!)


Followed by a shot of Betty Brandt Leeds answering the phone with a piece of white asparagus in her mouth....


That isn't a bad snack choice, but white asparagus ain't cheap, so you should really take the time to enjoy it.  I'm just saying.

We had a pretty awesome fight scene with Peter and the not-yet-unmasked Hobgoblin fighting in a ladies' room and Hobby getting socked into a toilet:


I'm not certain, but if there is an earlier depiction of a character sitting on a toilet in a "Big Two" book, I don't know when it was.  We may have a Moment in Comic Book History (tm!) there, albeit unconfirmed.

But I am sure that it was followed by a Moment of Comic Book Greatness (tm!):


Yes, the Hobgoblin shoves his hand right down a toilet.  I mean, it makes sense that he'd use the water to try and get the webbing off, but I'd have to think my very life was in immediate jeopardy before I'd stick my hand in a public restroom toilet.  Granted, that one looks pretty clean, but still.... we have a Moment of Comic Book Greatness (tm!) here!

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Aaron Carine said...

He stuck his hand in the toilet to put out the fuse on the live bomb Spider Man had webbed to his hand. Spider Man wasn't usually so ruthless as to try to blow a guy's hand off, but he must have been in a badass mood that day.

MarvelX42 said...

See, now why you try to mislead us like that Adam? Just for a laugh? Tsk tsk

Adam Barnett said...

Hey! Didn't catch that! Good eye, Aaron!