Thursday, January 10, 2013

Big Wheels, Tuna Fish and Sexual Harassment... I Have the Greatest Blog Ever

Although I make it look easy, it's actually a bit of a process looking for cringeworthy things in comics.  Sometimes, it's a matter of reading several issues just to find that one panel.  It's like finding a needle in a haystack, or an episode of Modern Family that's actually funny.

But then, sometimes all you need is to check out the cover:


Wow.  And believe it or not, this is the second part of a two-part story arch with the Rocket Racer.    Because one terrible character isn't enough, we need to have a nemesis named after the tricycle I had as a child:



Meanwhile, let's check in on Helen and Frank:


Geez, Frank.  BOUNDARIES!

I've come upon some really early issues of Crazy Magazine.  My parents wouldn't let me read Mad Magazine, yet Crazy was okay for awhile.  I have no idea why.

Anyway, Crazy was very topical.  The issues from 1973 were full of Nixon jokes penned by none other than friend-to-the-blog Tony Isabella.  And they would also poke fun at popular ads of the day.

Charlie the Tuna doesn't get a lot TV time these days, but he was a common sight on the three networks we had back then.  We also changed the channels by walking up to the TV and turning a knob, but I digress.

Here's some interesting history of Charlie the Tuna:



And a look at a typical Starkist ad:



Anyway, the character has been around since the 1950's, so mad props.

Anyway, something that iconic (particularly one as odd about a fish who apparently wants to be killed and eaten) is ripe for parody.  Thusly: 


But WTH is with that second panel????  Wow!  Not that Crazy was the most politically correct publication, but that is one inflammatory slur.  If you can't read it, "Chollie" refers to ballet as "faggy type dances."

Yikes.  Just... yikes.  Another Cringeworthy Moment in Comics(tm!)

See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

A. J. Payler said...

And what a weird pedigree: written by Roy Thomas and drawn by Lee Marrs? So odd.

Adam Barnett said...

Crazy was a very odd mashup of talent, to be sure.

Aaron Carine said...

Adam, you may be the only person in the country who doesn't think Modern Family is funny.

Smurfswacker said...

I understand The Big Wheel decided to go into crime after getting a great deal on the War Wheel after the Blackhawk Museum went broke.

Adam Barnett said...

I know, Aaron. It's like beer. I wish I enjoyed it because the people that like it seem to REALLY like it... but Beloved and I have just sat there, stone-faced, waiting for something funny to happen and it never does.

MarvelX42 said...

I literally haven't watched any tv at all in many months. I have been watching YouTube series.