Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Werewolves Don't Know Much about Jiu Jitsu!

One thing you've got to say about Pep Comics #1... it's a CMNS gold mine!  I'm sure that's not what they were going for, but ...

Hey!  It's time for Bentley of Scotland Yard!


No origin paragraph for Bentley? They figured the title was self-explanatory.  His name is Bentley.  He works for Scotland Yard.  If you need more than this, go re-read that Queen of Diamonds story.

It has action!


Way to let the hurt and beaten suspect just wander away from you there, Bentley... OF SCOTLAND YARD!  Admissions requirements for the Yard must have been rather loose that year.



I'm not knocking Jiu Jitsu, but I've played enough Mortal Kombat to know I'm placing my bet on the werewolf.  

Here's the only character who isn't the intended victim or support personnel.  SPOILER ALERT:  GUESS WHO THE BAD GUY ENDS UP BEING?


Jolly good, eh what?  What's all this, then?  Beans on Toast, eh guv'nah?

I'm half-Scot.  I've offended half of myself.  That's harder to do than it sounds.

And we have a moment that would be emulated by countless Scooby Doo episodes years later:


And I would have gotten away with it, too... if not for you meddling policemen!



Indeed he does, old chap.  Indeed he does.


3 comments:

Dave said...

Personally, I give Sir Rupert style points for not only wearing the monocle under the werewolf mask, but foe being able to juggle it from eye to eye.

MarvelX42 said...

Yes! I knew it was a disguise because werewolves couldn't possibly have preternaturally hard heads, therefore it had to be a mask! Ha ha! Got you!

Also it seems that alot of the heroes back then just loved dressing as women. Any excuse.

P.S. Guess ol' Rupert was just lucky that he didn't get a couple of silver bullets in his gullet.

Britt Reid said...

"Also it seems that alot of the heroes back then just loved dressing as women. Any excuse."

They did, indeed!
There were several heroes in drag, most notably the first Cat-Man (as I mentioned in http://heroheroinehistory.blogspot.com/2011/06/other-catman.html and Madam Fatal.