Friday, October 22, 2010

More Things I Find Disturbing That I Don't Think the Elongated Man Can Do-Palooza Friday!

Courtesy of Detective Comics #352:


In this case, it's not that I don't think he can do it, I'm just not sure why he would.  He's got guys shooting at him and rather than just send elongated fists all around the room, he takes the time to make a bow out of one arm?  I really don't see the benefit here.

And don't tell me he couldn't just launch the fist.  A few panels later, he is attacking people with elongated hair:


I like Ralph, I really do.  But I think people came up with these things forty years ago just so I would find them and be royally annoyed by how preposterous they are.

And, of course, this leads to elongated toes wrapping around people:


....which, by the way, is totally gross.

Sooner or later, he's going to run out of body parts and start resorting to what we're all thinking.  Comics Code be danged, there are only so many things he can stretch before we start going with the obvious.  You're just as frightened of an uncertain future as I.  Admit it.

See you Monday!

7 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

Okay, there is obviously MORE than JUST stretching going on here. If you can stretch your toe you CAN'T make it wrap around something. Hair is dead cells. Even if you could make it stretch it would just.....well stretch. Get longer in other words. You wouldn't be able to make it stay up like that or project it in a certain direction, etc. So this is not stretching this is something else. What, I don't know.

OrigamiGirl said...

Maybe he should just have be called 'Physically Impossible Man' or
'Ridiculously Elongated Man'
That way we should just accept it. Does he have an origin story for these powers by the way? I would love to hear it.

Also btw I sent you a message via the facebook machine asking if it was ok if I quoted some of your blog in mine, crediting you in order to do a review of your blog.(it's a favourable review!) Just cross-posting in case you don't check facebook much. Sorry for the spam. :)

SallyP said...

My feeling is that Ralph not only wants to defeat you, but he wants to defeat you in the most humiliating manner possible.

Will said...

Well, I'd have to think an elongated part-that-Adam-dare-not-speak-its-name would be about the most humiliating way to be defeated for most male crooks!

--Allergy

Anonymous said...

the toes have joints... which enables you to pick up things with your feet if you wanted to.

so it stands to reason that he could be using the joints to wrap around somebody's leg.

the hair... well, you got me there. *shrugs*

Lazarus Lupin said...

I saw Jack Black deactivate lasers with his $#%^, so I await with anticipation more adventures with what might be the most cocksure hero in town.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

Adam Barnett said...

OrigamiGirl--- I didn't get the FB message, but feel free to quote whatever you like :-)