Monday, November 17, 2008

Our Second Blogversary Monday!

Hey, hey! Comics Make No Sense is two years old today. Yep, it was 24 short months ago that I was reading something stupid and thought, "You know who might find this funny?" And then I couldn't answer that question, so I thought I'd just post it and see if anyone cared.

Two years later, and this site averages over 1000 hits a week. I apparently underestimated society's need for someone to go through old comics and find the dumbest things they could.

So, today's post is something of a catch-all as to what CMNS is all about. First, the Sexism of the Silver Age, courtesy of Avengers v1 #45:


Wow. Yes, Janet, I couldn't agree more that you serve no practical purpose, but the fact that you readily own up to it is refreshingly candid.

Until this moron starts talking:


Yes, girls.... your physical appearance as evaluated by men is the defining aspect of your existence. Embrace it.
____________________________________

And sometimes, we find stuff of neat (albeit geeky) moments of history. Like this initial appearance of Jimmy Olsen in World's Finest v1 #6:


____________________________________

And sometimes I have no idea of what I'm reading, even though it was originally designed for six year-old boys. Like this joke, also from World's Finest v1 #6:



What? Seriously... what? I get that he has the brain of a sheep, but I don't understand that last bit.
__________________________________________

And the ads. Oh, how I loves me some ads. They bring us Fudge Judges, Gahoons, Captain Tootsie and children who haven't yet learned to be afraid of O.J. Simpson. Like this classic Tootsie Roll ad:


Uncle Sam says "Eat more dextrose, kids!"

It's been a great run. Doing this blog given me something to look forward to every day. Thanks from me to you, for giving me this forum to spout off about this hobby we all love enough to poke fun at.

See you tomorrow as we start Year Three!

15 comments:

Elie said...

Happy blogiversary and many more!

SallyP said...

Happy Anniversary! Two years old, and SUCH a big boy now!

Dextrose is GOOD for you!

D.B. Echo said...

Two years, hooray! Many happy returns!


And obviously young Jimmy Olsen hasn't met many carnies.

The Mad Tinkerer said...

"That last bit" is a very poorly-executed attempt at irony.

He's a repo man, but he's skipping out on the bill(tee-hee). But it really doesn't make any sense, because even for a cartoon that's a pretty horrible example of malpractice and Bill would easily have grounds to sue the doctor for (literally, since this is a cartoon,) a million bajillion dollars. This is especially true, because: since when does cartoon-medicine have a limit on the number of times you can transplant a brain? The doctor should give him the right brain and then try to charge him $4 ($2 per surgery).

Then Bill would have grounds to simply refuse the bill (tee-hee) and the punchline would make a tiny bit more sense. Not that the setup makes much sense.

It's just not very well thought out.

Sea-of-Green said...

Congrats on your first two years, Adam! Here's to the next two! :-)

Anonymous said...

Adam, your blog is one of the very few that I read EVERY DAY. I love comics and your wit and ability to find the most hilarious comics is the best on the net. I love this site and hope one day I'll be reading about the 10th anniversary. Thank you for what you do!

Anonymous said...

Friends, I linked Adam's site on my web site months ago. If you have a blog or web site please do the same and send even more traffic his way :)

De said...

Congrats on making it this far without running out into the street accosting people for Tootsie Rolls... without pants.

FoldedSoup said...

Two years, huh? And you still haven't run out of "What th'?" panels?

I doubt you ever will.. keep it up!

Thomas Fummo said...

CONGRATS!
Thank you for all your funnies!

UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU
to eat more tootsies

*feels confused but in a surprisingly wholesome and energetic way*

Christian Zamora said...

Congratulations! Wow. Two years doing this blog. Something I should aspire too. XD

Belvoir said...

Thanks Adam, I appreciate your fine work, bringing us the comics past with deft humor. You're at the top of my bookmarks when I need a getaway from news, and the cares of today. So fun. Best to you!
And congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Adam, I can't believe I slept through the blogiversary! You are one of my absolute favorites and you're doing a great job! Congrats!

Also, thanks to the other commenters who crack me so consistently up.

Anonymous said...

Also, is it just me, or does Jimmy have a hilariously gigantic melon?

Chance said...

Congrats on the two year run. Don't sell yourself short; you're posting bits of badly-written silliness from old comics, but it's your own wonderfully cutting and hilarious prose that makes this blog worth returning to again and again.